The red Melitta brewer has been sitting patiently in a drawer waiting to be put back to use. The #2 paper cone filters have been biding their time in another drawer, certain that one day they’d be called upon again to brew a cup of coffee, one cup at a time.
But sitting in drawers they have been because, I hate to say this, in the last several years I’ve been lured by the promise of speed and efficiency. Drawn toward the more quickly acquired cup of coffee I bought a one cup Keurig machine (also red. is there a pattern here?). Never mind the flaws, it is as easy as it gets. Put in water. Put in a coffee pod. Hit brew. Done in a flash.
Before the Keurig I used to do a cup at a time using the pour-over method. Sinfully delicious coffee and cleanup was very easy. But the amount of time. It just took too long and kept me from rushing out the door in the morning to get to a fully-rushed day. But this weekend, my mind demanding that I start to slow things down a bit, I rediscovered the joy of the pour-over, and oddly enough, that it really doesn’t take much time. And did I mention the wonderful ritual? Or the fact that the coffee simply tastes better?
Steps to the perfect cup of coffee
- If you like sugar in your coffee put in whatever amount you prefer in the bottom of the cup. The mixing happens automatically as the coffee drains into the cup.
- Fill up your favorite kettle with water and start the water heating.
- Put the single cup brewer on top of your cup.
- Put a filter into the brewer.
- Put two heaping tablespoons of your favorite coffee grounds into the filter.
- When the water is finished boiling let it rest for about 1 minute to bring the temperature down a bit.
- Now slowly pour the water over the grounds. Make sure to get them all wet.
- As the water drains keep it moving by continually slowly pouring more water over the grounds in a circular motion and keeping them all in play. Enjoy the smells coming up out of the cup.
- Put the brewer in the sink to finish draining once you’re near the top of the cup.
- Enjoy the best cup of coffee you’ll ever have.